ASI Sniper (Gamo Expo) .177 Project
The 'O' ring piston seal conversion we made for my old ASI Sniper (Gamo Expo) .177 to replace the original leather seal - Only the second item my son and I have ever made on a metal lathe (Myford ML7) but it came out really well.
Gave an immediate performance increase but also made the rifle far more consistent with only a 7fps variance over a 10 shot string.
The size of the 'O' ring groove is critical to get just the right amount of "squash" so that the 'O' ring seals but doesn't create excessive friction
Rifle compression tube diameter nominal 25mm
Aluminium stock 25.4mm diameter
Aluminium Piston Head machined down to 24.7mm diameter
Piston 'O' ring groove diameter 19.6mm
Piston 'O' ring groove width 3.24mm diameter
'O' ring 19mm I.D. x 3mm Cross section
Next job on the list is to replace the extremely tired original spring with a No. 7 Titan XS spring and add a top hat and ptfe piston sleeve.
MKI - Aluminium O Ring Conversion
MKII Oilon oil filled nylon O ring conversion
ASI Sniper improvements so far:
1. Original condition as received leather seal, tired spring, unknown last lube
2. Stripped, cleaned and relubed - Leather seal oil soaked (seal actually in remarkably good condition)
3. Added Power Washers/spacer to aid tired spring
4. Changed Leather Seal to MKI Aluminium 'O' Ring Conversion - This also increased the stroke a couple of mm as the 'O' ring is more compact than the original seal
5. Fitted new Spring (pending - coming shortly)
6. Fitted MKII Oilon Oil filled nylon O ring conversion - reduced weight, self lubricating bearing, added another couple millimetres to the stroke.
7. Made and fitted small Oilon top hat to support lower spring and allow rotation (pending)
8. Can anything be done to improve the trigger (pending)?
|Condition||High ft/lb||Low ft/lb||Avg ft/lb||Spread fps|
|1 Original as received||3.19||2.22||2.7||69|
|3 Added Power Washers||4.69||4.37||4.51||18|
|4 'O' Ring Conversion||5.13||5.01||5.04||7|
|5 'O' Ring + New Spring|